Monday, July 29, 2013

Purse Staples: MAC "Oyster Girl"

I want to start a new "Purse Staple" series where I talk about things that are must haves in my purse. I figure what better way to know what my favorite every day items are then talking about what I must have in my purse at all times

It is no secret that MAC has some beautiful products, I especially love their blushes, eyeshadows, lipsticks, and lipglass (one of their several forms of lip gloss). In fact, the very first thing I ever purchased from MAC was their Lipglass in the color "Oyster Girl; it is described as a Freshwater Pink. I do not find that description to be very helpful; I would describe it as a cool toned iridescent pink with a warm golden shimmer. It really is unique, and I distinctly remember a friend of mine in 7th grade putting it on and I remember wanting it so badly. I was obviously pretty young and had no buisness spending any sort of high dollar at a cosmetic stand, but I was determined.

It you've never used a Lipglass before, you should be warned that they are quite thick and sticky. A sticky lip gloss tends to hold and stay on better, and the thickness makes the color quite opaque. I now own several Lipglasses by MAC and I have to say, after the many years that have gone by, I recently repurchased "Oyster Girl" and love it even more now than I did 8 years ago (it may even be my all time favorite!). It truly is a unique color and I would argue that it would be a tough one to dupe. I like it because it is quite neutral but not nude, as I am not a huge fan of wearing a nude lip. I find it wonderful on it's own, but also gorgeous layered over lipsticks. For this reason, it is most definitely a Summer Purse Staple!

I have especially loved layering it over cool toned lipsticks. I find that the coolness of the Lipglass mixed with the golden shimmer in it really makes my lips look much fuller. It also makes my cool toned lipsticks take on a whole new color. I find that this Lipglass is very versatile because it can make a lipstick look like a new color while still remaining similar to the original color. I haven't tried it over many warmer toned lipsticks, but I can't wait to experiment with that.
Oyster Girl On it's own
Oyster Girl over Maybelline
Color Whisper "Oh La Lilac"


*My favorite
Oyster Girl over MAC "Pink Nouveau"

I think "Oyster Girl" would look gorgeous on any skin tone and that if you are new to make-up you should definitely give this a try when you're wondering what to buy at the MAC counter. It is just absolutely gorgeous!

Quick Tip: A Lipglass is gorgeous all over the lip, but it can also be worn just in the center to make lips appear fuller. Just a small dab in the center of your bottom lip can make lips look fuller and lipstick more comfortable to wear (especially a matte formula). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts?