Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Fitness: a quick post

Tonight I decided to not only attend the class I attend most every Tuesday at the gym, but also the class that is scheduled for the time slot before. I thought "why not try something new?" I like to challenge myself and try new things, given I feel comfortable (i'm not going to go out and eat crickets, that is most definitely not my idea of trying something new).
The first class I went to was called a BodyCombat class. It featured an unbelievably fit female leading our predominately female class. BodyCombat is described to be an upbeat cardio-type class that features many aspects of different martial arts ranging from boxing to tai chi. It was REALLY (and I stress that really) difficult to keep up. I could not remember the choreography and I felt like I looked absolutely ridiculous punching at the air. I thought I looked like a loser who couldn't punch, which lets face it, I am, and so I would try to punch harder and fiercer. Low and behold, when I would do that I looked even MORE ridiculous. The whole while you are bouncing around like some sort of Karate Kangaroo and honestly looking back at the whole experience now, I'm sure it look quite hilarious. By the end of the class I was absolutely drenched in sweat. I never thought that punching at nothing with no weights and no running would get me sweating so hard. I was completely exhausted and considered leaving right after that class. I had a million and one reasons why I should leave and not stay for the following class:
"Well I go every week so I don't need to go"
"I tried something new, I don't need to do what I always do too"
"I'm really tired...and I don't think I ate very much today"
"I forgot my water bottle, I can't stay without my water bottle"

...But I stayed!! I reminded myself about how I did not work out the night before and how I was already at the gym and I might as well stay. I also reminded myself that it is just another hour of working out and that there is no way I would regret it.
And I didn't. In fact, since all my endorphins were up and my adrenaline was all pumping I was totally killing it in that second class! I was so happy that I stayed because I had a really fun time, even more fun than usual, and I burned off all those extra calories.
The second class is called UJAM, which is just a huge mix of different dance styles from Bollywood to Hip-hop. It is set to high energy music that you hear on the radio and can sing along with. The instructor is full of energy and the best fitness class teacher I've ever had. If you have not yet tried UJAM, look at your local gyms and community centers and see if they offer it, it is loads of fun! I love the variety of people that come; young, old, really old, men, women, EVERYONE! It is so much fun, I highly recommend it.

Would I attend another BodyCombat class? absolutely. I am sure I looked so ridiculous and I probably wasn't doing anything right but practice is what makes us better and so I can only improve from here. Plus, that extra boost of energy it gives me before UJAM makes it totally worth the sweat and fatigue. I will be sure to never forget my water bottle again though, that's for sure. Step aside, Pre workout supplements, all I need is self motivation and continued perseverance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts?