Sunday, July 14, 2013

DUPE ALERT: Mac vs Maybelline

The new, hot buzz in the drug store are the Maybelline Color Tattoo Pigments. Everyone loves the beautiful Color Tattoo cream shadows that Maybelline released a few years ago so of course these new pigments are going to cause quite a commotion. Also, lets be honest, who doesn't love a good pigment?

For those of you who may not be familiar, Pigments are a highly opaque color powders that can be used for multiple purposes. I mainly use pigments as eyeshadows, but they can also be used as a highlight, bronzer, blush, and in some cases, maybe even a lip color. The other awesome thing about pigments is you can use them wet or dry; each of these techniques give a unique look to the pigment. When it is dry, it is beautiful and shimmery, but when it is wet it looks more seamless and foiled...Gorgeous!
I cannot resist a good pigment, in any way, shape, or form. I got hooked on the Mac Pressed Pigments for awhile and semi-recently got addicted to their loose pigments. Up until now, I haven't seen a true Pigment product in the drug store.
Then came Maybelline...
I love that they released a line of 12 shades, that is a fairly large selection and it is bound to grow in due time. I only picked up one shade because as soon as I saw it, I immediately thought it could be a dupe for Mac's much loved "Melon" pigment.
"Melon" pigment by Mac is a true fan-fav. It has a very unique shift to it that is very golden, while it is a peach shade. It's absolutely gorgeous and would look fabulous on any skin tone.
I saw the packaging of the Maybelline Pigment in "Breaking Bronze" and it had the same golden-peach color that is found in "Melon" so I started to wonder if someone finally made an affordable dupe for the beloved shade.

The color on the outer packaging make the products look like a very similar color, so I had to dig in deeper. (Also, please excuse the shadows in this picture, I was so eager to get this post up that I did not have the patients to work for better lighting).

                                                
Once I opened the containers, I realized that "Breaking Bronze" by Maybelline was not the same color as the packaging had lead on. It appeared to be a Golden Bronze color, while "Melon" is a Golden Peach color. So these products are NOT an exact dupe for each other.
Continuing on to swatching...
I did a swatch of both of these pigments dry and wet. Both performed the same way in both cases, they are both fantastic pigments. Both are highly shimmery, so if you are planning to use them in other places than just your eyes, be very, very, sparing.



While the shades are different, they are still very similar so if you cannot afford to spend over $20 on a pigment, these are the first one's I would send you to

(Photo of both pigments dry: Left is Mac "Melon", Right is Maybelline "Breaking Bronze")




                                                                           


I was definitely skeptical to see if the Maybelline Pigment would preform as nicely as Mac pigments do when applied wet, and I was very impressed! Both apply so smoothly and have a gorgeous shimmering effect. I don't think there is anything more beautiful than a wet pigment on the lids, I really don't.
(Photo of both pigments wet: Left is Mac "Melon", Right is "Maybelline "Breaking Bronze")


Over all I give this product a perfect 10! I cannot wait to go a try out more of these Maybelline Pigments in more colors. I would love to try the pink shade they have in "Pink Rebel" on the lips with a clear gloss over top. I've never used a pigment as a lip color but have always been curious. 
I also plan on picking up the shade "Barely Brazen" and trying to mix in the tiniest amount with my foundation for a highlighted glow. Often times, I mix my Mac "Tan" pigment into my foundation if I want to look bronzed and glowing.
And the very last color I plan on picking up (which, I'll admit, I totally overlooked at the store and thought "why would anyone buy a plain black pigment?" is "Black Mystery". The mystery is apparently that the packaging does not reveal that there is a teal shade mixed into the black; how gorgeous does that sound?! I think any of these pigments could be combined with one another to come up with your very own, unique shade. 

I found my Maybelline Color Tattoo Pigment at target for $5.95
Mac Pigments retail for $21.00

Has anyone tried any of the other shades? What do you think about them? What colors would you recommend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts?