Monday, August 26, 2013

YSL Babydoll Mascara...Worth The Hype?!

What does Tim Lincecum have to do with mascara reviews?!
Keep reading to find out =]
Hey Guys! Okay, so YSL is known for having really luxurious products that people really love and cling to. Their lipsticks are a cult favorite and their mascaras are said to be the best. I personally only own one of their Candy Sheer Lipsticks and have never tried their mascara. While part of me wanted to know what I was missing out on, the other [rational] side of me was really unwilling to spend at least $30 on a mascara if it wasn't going to work out for me. With my track record, most mascara's that people love, NEVER work out on me. While everyone is raving about all the Maybelline mascaras, I'm over here trying to separate my lashes and keep my eyes from watering from the awful black mess Maybelline mascara leaves on my face. I was really torn between wanting to try out YSL Babydoll mascara, but not wanting to spend the money.
After my birthday, I got some gift cards to Sephora and I wanted to treat myself to something I wouldn't typically buy for myself. Now was my chance to try the YSL mascara that so many YouTuber's are going crazy about!
The brush is a rubber bristle brush, which I tend to prefer because I can get closer to the root of my lashes while I try to build volume. The issue I ran into with this mascara, is no matter how close I get to the root of my lashes and how much I work to build volume, I cannot get my lashes any thicker or fuller! It drives me crazy because I get amazing length and great separation, I can really maneuver the brush into the inner and outer corners of my eye, and when applied to my lower lash line (which is something I very seldom do), it almost doubles as a liner, but does not smear under my eye and really does open up my eyes and make them look really wide and "babydoll" like. I just cannot get enough volume! The main thing I look for in my mascara is mega volume with some lengthening qualities as well. This is not cutting it. 
I find myself wearing this mascara on days when I want a more "natural" look, and while it is a look I go for often, I do not need a special mascara to achieve a natural lash and especially not one that costs a pretty penny. 
What I do like about this mascara is that it works well with others. I've been wearing it under a heafty coat of my beloved Tarte Lights, Camera, Flashes mascara and it makes my lashes look fake! I'm not kidding, the other day I was taking shameless selfies at a San Francisco Giant's game and I was amazed at how full my lashes looked, even in pictures. 

My final consensus on this mascara is that it is a Pass. It is not worth the hype and I would not repurchase it. While it is not horrible, I am most definitely not loving it and the price is just not doing it for me. 







You can actually see that I have eyelashes in the photograph; I was amazed!

PS. HI CHAD!







I told you...shameless selfies.
GO GIANTS!


No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts?