Monday, August 12, 2013

DIY: How To Depot Mac Eyeshadows!

This is the simplest way EVER to depot Mac eyeshadows. This would work for their blushes as well and once you have the technique down it is easy to find ways to depot eyeshadows from the drugstore and from brands other than Mac that you could put into a Z-Palette if you own one.
It may look and seem complicated, but do not be intimidated because it is nearly impossible to mess it up, it's basically just a lot of picking and maneuvering to get the shadow loose in the pot.
So without further ado, this is how I depot my Mac eyeshadows!

Things That You Will Need:
-Mac Palette (or Z-Palette. Whatever you are putting the depotted eyeshadow pan into)
-Eyeshadow in a pot
-Aluminum Foil
-Dull Butter knife (optional)
-Tweezers
-Magnetic strip (best if one side is pre-adhesived)
-Hair Flat Iron

Step 1: Preheat your hair flat iron. I use a really old one that I used to use when I was in middle school, but you can use any flat iron that you have.
Place foil over the bottom plate as it heats up so that the foil begins to get hot too

Step 2: Find the small crack in the Mac Eyeshadow pot where the pan is inserted into the pot. It is near where the pot opens up 
I then use a dull butter knife and wedge it into that crack and just wiggle it around until the top pops out of the pot. If you prefer to use tweezers, they would work too. Be sure to apply pressure towards the top of the pan because you wouldn't want it to fly out and crack your eyeshadow!

Step 3: Once the pan pops out, it should look something like this image below; it will still have a black plastic pan around the color. Stick that on top of the foil that is on your hair flat iron, but no longer than 30 seconds! It does not take very long long. This step is important to melt the glue that holds the eyeshadow pan into the black plastic. 
Save this! For the "Back To Mac" recycle program


Step 4: 
Begin to apply pressure to the underside of the pan with tweezers to push the colored eyeshadow pan through the black plastic. I like to use tweezers because they are sharp and can help pull the eyeshadow pan from the other side. 
You should now have 3 parts!


An optional step that I chose to skip is using rubbing alcohol to get some of the sticky glue off of the eyeshadow pan. I skip this step because the goo doesn't bother me as I feel like it helps keep the eyeshadow pan in the palette. 

Step 5: Another optional step, but this is one that I do, is create a label. I use my moms label machine on the smallest font size to type out the name of the eyeshadow. This particular one is called "Free To Be", it is a gorgeous matte peach color. 
After I print it out, I trim it down to as small as possible and stick it onto the back of the pan. Like I said, this is completely optional!

Step 6: I then add a small magnet to the bottom of the pan so it can stay in my magnetic Mac Palette.

And Voila! Now you have a convenient way to keep your Mac eyeshadows as well as an empty black eyeshadow pot that you can take back to Mac! After accumulating 6 of their recyclable items you can return them to a Mac counter you can get a free lipstick! Or if you return to an actual Mac Store, you can get a lipstick, lipglass, or eyeshadow! Additional rules may apply, check the link I supplied up above for further details!

My new Mac palette is off to a beautiful start!
(Vex, Saddle, Free To Be)



No comments:

Post a Comment

what are your thoughts?